Friday 30 January 2015

Book Review - Gideon by Alex Gordon

I must admit that I approached this book hesitantly. It lay outside of my usual scope of interest, and I hadn't heard anything on the grapevine about Alex Gordon prior to its release. Well, I am glad to say that I took a chance on it. Sometimes a book will surprise you and blow you away. Gideon is one of those books.

A fascinating blend of urban fantasy, horror, history and the supernatural, Gideon tells the tale of Lauren, a women who goes searching for the truth behind her father following his death. Following the trail to a mysterious town called Gideon, Lauren's quest for truth is hampered by a strange man and mysterious events. Residents start going missing in the town, and time itself is not what it seems. 

Gideon is a chilling and amazing read. One of the things that I loved about this book was how soaked it was in history. Reading it was like stepping back in time, and I literally felt like I was standing in Gideon watching in horror as events unfolded before me. Lauren is an interesting protagonist. Tough and resilient, I adored how she was thrown into a situation filled with mayhem and darkness and essentially tasked with stopping the evil falling over Gideon. The supporting characters, namely Connie and Victoria, were all interesting and full of depth and mystery, and I loved how the townsfolk of Gideon interacted and treated outsiders (it reminded me of how people in the small town I grew up in treated visitors, usually with suspicion and hostility).

Nothing in Gideon though is as it seems, and I was swept along through the many twists and layers that make up this story. The town itself is a creepy and magnificent setting, with darkness lingering in every shadow. The history that Gordon also weaved into her world building was superb, and I loved the link to past events like the Great Fire and the witch trials. I became so immersed in this story I found it extremely hard to put down at times. 

All in all Gideon is a relentless barrage of suspense and fright. A fascinating urban fantasy with a rich and layered depth, I would recommend it to all fans of speculative fiction! 

4 out of 5 stars.

smashdragons.blogspot.com.au

A review copy was provided. 

No comments:

Post a Comment