Tuesday 9 December 2014

Book Review - Book of the Dead by Greig Beck

Description - 

Sinkholes are appearing all over the globe... birds are falling from the sky... and people are disappearing. When the government starts to investigate these phenomena they discover more than they bargained for... Cthulhu is rising... and the fate of the world hangs in the balance. 

"And the Earth shall fall before they... rise." 


Review - 

I will admit I was excited when I first heard whispers (or should that be guttural squelching from shoggoths?) of this novel. Hardcore military adventure fiction... with Lovecraftian tones... oh hell yes! Sign me up and take my money! Did Greig Beck deliver on my excitement upon reading... is the Pope a Catholic? Of course he did! 

Beck has crafted an amazing tale filled with dark horror and violence. The world building and pacing were superb, and the story was filled with squeamish terror and gut wrenching action from start to finish. His characters were well fleshed out, and I loved the reappearance of Kearns and Senesh in this story. Beck's exploration and use of the Cthulhu mythos was also well done, creating a deep sense of foreboding and terror deep within me as a turned page after page (probably didn't help that there were violent storms raging outside at the time! I literally could imagine Cthulhu peering down at me as lightning rippled across the sky behind him). I was grabbed from the first sentence and engrossed in the story until the very end. Even now I still find myself thinking about the possibility of the old ones. That's how I know that Beck has done a tremendous job... the story is lingering in my mind a week after reading! 

As a homage to Lovecraft Beck has produced a work to be proud of. The best military horror I have read all year... and Beck's best work yet. 

A must read for military horror and Lovecraft fans! 

5 out of 5 stars.

smashdragons.blogspot.com.au 

No comments:

Post a Comment