Monday 19 January 2015

Book Review - Messenger's Legacy by Peter V. Brett

I was excited to read Messenger's Legacy. As a long time fan of Brett's Demon Cycle Saga I looked forward to jumping back into a world where humanity is on the brink of disaster. And boy was I not disappointed! Messenger's Legacy tells the tale of Briar Damaj, a half Krasian boy in the village of Bogton, who flees into the wild when tragedy strikes at the very heart of his family. With nothing but his wits and some basic herb lore he must brave the darkness and survive.

Sporting a beautiful hardback cover and binding, Messenger's Legacy represents everything I love about Peter V. Brett's writing. Fast paced and action packed, with tragedy and soul woven in. Like previous works by Brett, Messenger's Legacy is an extremely readable and accessible story that had me gripped from the start. I simply adored the introduction of Briar Damaj (who apparently will have a role to play in The Skull Throne), and I loved how his point of view evolved throughout the story. I also enjoyed learning more about Ragen and his wife Elissa, and their relationship with Briar was both moving and fascinating. The conflict in Messenger's Legacy (like in other works by Brett) was both well written and extremely tragic, especially the scenes where people turn on each other despite the fact that they are facing extinction from the demons. 

Messenger's Legacy also highlight's Brett's ability to create a rich and textured world that seems authentic and real to the reader. There is nothing verbose about the people, creatures, or land in a Messenger's Legacy, and it is simply beautiful to read. 

If I had one small criticism it would be that I wanted to know more about Briar. The early chapters of this novella were simply mesmerising, and showcased Brett's ability to write simple yet soulful prose filled with sad innocence.

All in all Messenger's Legacy was a really great return to the Demon Cycle universe. I cannot recommended this novella highly enough to fans of fantasy, and I can't wait to see what befalls Briar and the others in The Skull Throne. 

4 out of 5 stars.

smashdragons.blogspot.com.au

A review copy was provided. 

No comments:

Post a Comment